Board of Trustees
The New Braunfels ISD Board of Trustees is comprised of seven members elected to serve, without compensation for a three-year term. Five board members shall be elected by single-member districts and two of the board members shall be elected at-large.
Board of Trustee elections are held each May on the uniform election date.
The Board of Trustees have final authority to determine and interpret the policies that govern the schools and, subject to the mandates and limits imposed by state and federal authorities, have complete and full control of the District. Board action shall be taken only in meetings that comply with the Open Meetings Act.
Terms and Election Schedule
District 1 and the At-Large positions elections will be held in 2019, 2022, 2025, and in three-year intervals thereafter.
Districts 3 and 5 elections will be held in 2018, 2021, 2024, and in three-year intervals thereafter.
Districts 2 and 4 elections will be held in 2020, 2023, 2026, and in three-year intervals thereafter.
The at-large candidates receiving the highest number of votes for the number of positions with expiring terms shall be elected. To be elected in the single-member districts, the candidate must receive more votes than any other candidate for the single-member district.
To be eligible to be a candidate for the NBISD Board of Trustees, a person must:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
- Have not been determined by a final judgement of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date:
- For an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate's application for a place on the ballot.
- For a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate's name is written in.
- For an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made.
- Be registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described at item 5, above.
A person is ineligible to serve as a member of the board of a district if the person has been convicted of an offense under Penal Code 43.02(b) Education Code 11.066