Public Comment at Board Meetings
Public comment at regular Board meetings will be conducted in accordance with BED (LOCAL) and the Board’s procedures on public comment.
At meetings other than regular Board meetings, public comments are limited to items on the posted meeting notice and agenda. At regular meetings, comments on other topics may be allowed as time permits. Public comments should be limited to topics relevant to District business and must be made in-person at the meeting.
In lieu of or in addition to speaking at an open meeting, a member of the public may also submit written comments to the Board regarding District business as follows:
- Completing and Submitting the form;
- Emailing Blanche Frey, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent; or
- In person at 1000 North Walnut Ave., New Braunfels, Texas 78130
The following guidelines apply to public comment:
- Individuals must sign up in advance of the Board meeting by filling out the form below, by email to Blanche Frey, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent, or in person at 1000 North Walnut Ave., New Braunfels, Texas 78130. Signup will open after Agenda is posted and close at 12:00 PM (noon) the day of the Board Meeting. When an individual signs up, the individual must indicate whether the comment pertains to an item on the Board agenda and, if so, which item or items. An individual who will be accompanied by a translator must notify the District at the time of signup.
- If an agenda item is continued or posted again for a meeting on a later date, individuals who wish to address the Board on the item must sign up separately for that later date.
- The period reserved for public comment at a Board meeting will generally occur at the beginning of the meeting. However, in the interest of time and the orderly conduct of public business, the presiding officer may make adjustments in accordance with the Board’s adopted procedures on public comment.
- A speaker will be given up to 3 minutes to address the Board. If, however, the total number of speakers seeking to address the Board at a meeting exceeds 5 individuals the per-speaker time limit may be reduced. In no event will a speaker be given less than one minute to address the Board. A speaker who wishes to address multiple agenda items may be given more time to address the Board in accordance with the Board’s adopted procedures.
- Under the Texas Open Meetings Act, the Board is not permitted to discuss or act upon any issues that are not posted on the agenda for the meeting.
- The Board has adopted complaint policies that are designed to secure, at the lowest possible administrative level, a prompt and equitable resolution of complaints and concerns for employees, students or their parents, and the general public. [See DGBA, FNG, and GF] Each of these processes provides that, if a resolution cannot be achieved administratively, the person may appeal the administrative decision to the Board as a properly posted agenda item. For further information on those policies, please contact Student Services at 830-643-5704. If the subject of a speaker’s comment involves a pending grievance, the speaker should seek resolution through the grievance process and address the Board only at the appropriate stage of that process.
- Under the Texas Open Meetings Act, the Board may exercise its authority to discuss certain subject matters on the agenda in closed session, including matters involving individual District staff members and individual students. If a speaker’s comment concerns one of these subjects, the speaker should address the concern through the District’s complaint policies.
- Rules of order and decorum will be enforced during the public comment period to ensure efficient meetings. Unlawful or disruptive conduct, including interrupting scheduled speakers, speaking out of turn, or interfering with the rights of others, will not be tolerated. Each participant is legally responsible for the content and consequences of his or her own statements.