Student Code of Conduct on School Buses
It is a well-documented fact that school buses provide the safest form of transportation for students to and from school. In the New Braunfels I.S.D., we invest both time and financial resources to keep our bus fleet in a well-maintained and safe operating condition and we selectively hire and train qualified individuals to drive our buses.
We believe that the transportation service we provide is vital in assisting parents to meet their busy commitments. It helps our school district qualify for additional state funding, which might be lost if students did not have a reliable way of getting to school. It also reduces the amount of traffic on our congested streets.
We strive to make the transportation operation as safe as possible. Students and parents play a major role in the safety of that operation. We are convinced that good student behavior on school buses is an essential ingredient in maintaining a safe operation. This Student Code of Conduct on School Buses is a statement of
bus safety rules and procedures, which must be followed by students whenever they ride the bus. Students who endanger themselves or others will be held accountable. They are subject to a loss of bus riding privileges,when warranted.
Bus Safety Rules and Procedures
The following are the bus safety rules that students are expected to follow while on the bus:
- Observe the same level of conduct as is expected in the classroom.
- Be courteous.
- The bus driver is authorized to assign seats.
- Do not eat, or chew gum on the bus.
- Clear plastic water bottles are allowed on bus, no glass containers. Students are only allowed to
- Cooperate with the driver.
- Do not vape, smoke or use any other tobacco products.
- Do not damage the bus or tamper with the equipment.
- Remain seated.
- Keep head, hands, and feet inside the bus.
- Do not fight or throw objects inside or outside the bus.
- Do not bring pets or live animals on the bus.
- Do not bring flammable materials on the bus, including body sprays, cologne or
- Profanity is not allowed.
- Students are prohibited from possessing drugs, weapons, and other contraband on
- Large, bulky fundraiser boxes, school projects, athletic equipment and large band
instruments (tubas or large drums) are not allowed on the bus unless it is able to ride
in the student’s lap. Parents will need to make arrangements to pick up the boxes and
to transport science projects to and from school.
- Do not bring skateboards, scooter/razors or balloons on the bus.
- Use of cell phones and or tablets must not be distracting to the driver or causing any disruptions on the bus.
- Students are prohibited from using any type of recording device such as a camera, video or audio recorder while on the bus.
- Students should pick-up their own trash to keep bus clean.
Board Policy CNC(LEGAL): "A district shall require a student riding a bus operated by or contracted for operation by the district to wear a seat belt if the bus is equipped with seat belts for all passengers on the bus. A school district may implement a disciplinary policy to enforce the use of seat belts by students. Education Code 34.013"